Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Freedom is Not Free

So, this weekend one of my facebook friends, a woman I am not particularly close to (she is my dad's co-workers wife and she friended me, and I didn't want to ignore her cause I felt like it would be rude) posted as her status:

"This is America. If you protest at one of our soldier's funerals then you don't deserve to live here."

I couldn't help but be a little peeved at this, to quote the constitution, which to me, embodies everything this country is SUPPOSED to stand for

Amendment 1 Bill of Rights:
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."

If soldiers are not fighting and dying to protect these rights what are they fighting for? I for one, would be appalled, if I fought and died for other people's freedoms just to have them taken away in my name or honor. Perhaps that's why I am not a solider. But Honestly, I think that represents the close mindedness that is strangling our country.

People need to recognize that just because something is tasteless and perhaps immoral, it doesn't make it wrong. It is tasteless to build a mosque near the world trade center, simply because it might offend people, it is tasteless to protest at a soldiers funeral, its tasteless to wear a swastika. I could list tasteless things all day, but the simple fact is that ITS A FREE COUNTRY, and people seem to have forgotten that.

During this fight against Terrorism, we need to make sure we remember who we are, and what we stand for. Keeping Benjamin Franklin's word's in mind "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Hope everyone had a good labor day, celebrating those who stood up together and demanded more.

Here is your Happiness for the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment